Hi. My name is Jess, and I write love stories.
I’m all about flawed characters, strong emotions, and happy endings!
My first book, The Guilt of a Sparrow, was released through Crooked Cat Books July 2018. I published my next two books, Fierce Grace and The Worth of a Penny, with Crooked Cat over the following year. Suddenly, I was a published author, and people were reading my books! My life had changed so quickly!
Yet, I’d been writing for years, and had slogged through my fair share of disinterest from publishers. In many ways, it seemed a long time coming to finally have found my place in the book world.
The best part of joining the Crooked Cat team has been the support system of other authors. I’ve made so many wonderful writer friends who have been invaluable on my journey.
First and foremost, I am a wife and mother. I stay at home with my children, and our days are filled with homeschooling and music. Bluegrass music is part of the culture where we live in rural North Carolina, and we’ve been lucky to raise our kids in this world of musical friendships. Usually we’re quite busy with the kids’ gigging band, but with all the upheaval in the world this spring, we’ve been sticking to home base.
I’ll be sharing more about my books, writing, and life on my website this week, and hope you’ll join me.
First up, a series of questions to help you get to know me:
- What shows are you into? My long-time favorites are Gilmore Girls and Friends.
- Are you usually early or late? I subscribe to the adage if you’re on time, you’re late.
- What skill would you like to master? I’m trying to improve at digital art these days. I don’t really aspire to be a maser, but I’d like to get better.
- What’s your favorite book genre? Romance. Close second is YA.
- What is special abut the place you grew up? I grew up in Pensacola, Florida, and we boast the most beautiful beaches in the US. White sand beaches! I’ve visited the Atlantic beaches as well as the Pacific, and neither compares to the Gulf of Mexico along Pensacola Beach.
- What’s something you like to do the old-fashioned way? My calendar. I keep a paper planner each year, and it’s my lifeline!
- What could you give a 40-minute presentation on with no preparation? Homeschooling, from pre-school on up through high school. Yoga, the basics, having a home practice, and the pros/cons of becoming a teacher. Dental Hygiene, as this was my job before staying home with kids and writing. Writing romance, of course.
- Who’s your go-to when you can’t decide on something to listen to? First Aid Kit. Regina Spektor. Colter Wall. Tyler Childers. The Avett Brothers. Counting Crows. Nirvana. Simon and Garfunkel. The list goes on indefinitely.
- If your life was a book, what would its title be?IHandle with Care
- How do you get in the way of your own success? I’m not very good at self-promotion, which is a vital part of getting your work out into the world. I try to stay on top of social media, running ads, and keeping up my online presence, but sometimes I’d rather just write and not bother with the rest.